For Immediate Release
Download a PDF Version
NoMa BID and FRESHFARM Partner to Launch Farmers Market on May 20
12 vendors will offer seasonal produce, farm-raised meats, baked goods, prepared foods, and more in the heart of the NoMa neighborhood, Sundays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
WASHINGTON, D.C. / MAY 9, 2018 — In the latest sign of NoMa’s exponential growth as a mixed-use neighborhood, the NoMa Business Improvement District (BID) announced today that it has partnered with the FRESHFARM nonprofit to host a farmers market on Sunday mornings in NoMa. Located on the lot at First and Pierce streets NE (1150 First St. NE), the market will feature a dozen regional vendors and operate every Sunday from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m., May 20 through October 28.
“NoMa neighbors have told us they wanted a farmers market, so we are really excited to be sponsoring a Sunday-morning market that will provide great food, support local farmers, and offer food education,” said Robin-Eve Jasper, NoMa BID president. “FRESHFARM is the best market operator to bring fresh foods and other goods to people in the community. We also thank Tishman Speyer for allowing the market to set up on its lot in the heart of NoMa.”
The FRESHFARM NoMa Market will feature a variety of vendors offering fresh fruits and vegetables, meats and eggs, pickles, prepared foods and baked goods, flowers, and more. As with all FRESHFARM markets, the NoMa market will accept and match Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), and Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) benefits. Learn more at freshfarm.org/noma.html.
As part of the May 20 opening-day celebration, the first 50 guests to arrive at the FRESHFARM NoMa Market will receive a $5.00 FRESHFARM token to use at the market, and all are invited to enter a raffle for a $100 FRESHFARM token. There will also be music provided by local acoustic artist A Note Two Self (Mike Richards).
“We’re thrilled to partner with the NoMa BID to open a farmers market in this thriving and dynamic neighborhood,” said Julia Feder, FRESHFARM executive director. “We look forward to being a part of this community and connecting the residents of NoMa with farmers and food producers in the Mid-Atlantic region.”
FRESHFARM NOMA MARKET
Location: First and Pierce streets NE (1150 First St. NE)
Open: Sundays, May 20–October 28, 2018, 9:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
- Borekg (Alexandria, VA) / savory Turkish borek pastries & prepared foods
- Bread & Water Co. (Alexandria, VA) / artisan sweet & savory baked goods
- Crooked Fence Farm (Glyndon, MD) / vegetables & cut flowers
- Holly Brook Farm (Berryville, VA) / heritage & pasture-raised meats and eggs
- Loblolly Organic Farm (Waldorf, MD) / cut flowers & bouquets
- Patisserie Poupon (Baltimore, MD) / French pastries & sweets
- Pickled Heads (Washington, DC) / handmade pickled vegetables & hot sauce
- Pleitez Produce Farm (King George, VA) / field vegetables
- Rainbow Hill Farm (Charles Town, WV) / organic fruits & vegetables, chicken & duck eggs, flowers
- Sweet Twist of Ecuador (Alexandria, VA) / soups, ice cream, and baked goods
- Three Springs Fruit Farm (Aspers, PA) / Food Alliance–certified fruits, vegetables, preserves, ciders
- Wholesome Clean Eating (MD) / soups, salads, prepared foods